Trek 4 Kids - Kilimanjaro
DATE: 30th September 2017 to 9th October 2017
LOCATION: Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Join us on this epic 10 day challenge event to raise awareness and funds for our inspirational kids who are living with cancer. Mount Kilimanjaro is Africa's highest peak - challenge yourself in rugged Tanzania and join Trek 4 Kids in 2017 to help Camp Quality create the best quality of life for kids growing up with cancer, and their families.
In the past our Camp Quality challenge events have seen us walk the Kokoda Track, crawl through the Jungles of Borneo and most recently take on the Larapinta Trail end to end. In September/October 2017, we are taking on our next challenge event, ascending the famous Mount Kilimanjaro which stands 5,895 metres above sea level.
Should you decide to take on this awesome adventure with us, you will be one of only a handful trekkers who will be participating in both a very personal discovery experience and an amazing adventure with a group of like-minded people walking to make a difference in the lives of kids living with cancer.
- Number of participants: Max 24
- Challenge duration: 10 days
- Grade: Moderate
How your support helps
When a child is diagnosed with cancer, normalcy becomes a thing of the past. Camp Quality provides essential services throughout every stage of the cancer journey; from diagnosis, treatment, remission as well as through the heart-breaking case of bereavement. In 2016, we were able to support 12,000 family members across Australia.
By taking part in this challange event, you’ll be helping us provide continued support to many families currently living with cancer.
Ready to register?
Sponsor a friend
The challenge dates are Saturday 30th September to Monday 9th October, 2017.
The start and end point for this trek is in Moshi, Tanzania. This trek follows the Lemosho Route towards the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Each Trekker commits to:
- Organising and paying for their own return flights to Tanzania.
- Paying for their own accommodation before and day after the Trek.
- Paying the all-inclusive $3,749 fee for the Lemosho Route trek.
- Paying for their own insurances and vaccinations.
These costs cannot include any sponsorship money or donations made to Camp Quality.
Each Trekker also commits to raising an additional $4,000 for Camp Quality to take part in the Challenge.
The following is included in the Mount Kilimanjaro Trek experience:
- Guided climb up Mt Kilimanjaro with local guides, cooks and porters
- Additional 'acclimatization day' during ascent
- All permits and fees
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
See below for a summary of the Lemosho Route Itinerary:
- Day 1 - Moshi: Arrive at any time
- Day 2 - Moshi/Mti Mkubwa Camp: 6km – 3-4 hours
- Day 3 - Mti Mkubwa Camp/Shira 1 Camp: 9km – 5-6 hours
- Day 4 - Shira 1 Camp/Shira 2 Camp: 5km – 3-4 hours
- Day 5 - Shira 2 Camp/Barranco Camp: 10km – 3-6 hours
- Day 6 - Barranco Camp/Karanga Camp: 5km – 4-5 hours
- Day 7 - Karanga Camp/Barafu Camp: 4km – 3-4 hours
- Day 8 - Barafu Camp/Mweka Camp: 17km – 13 hours
- Day 9 - Mweka Camp/Moshi: 10km – 6 hours
- Day 10 - Moshi: Depart at any time
A few resources to help you know exactly what is involved on this Trek, and what is required of you to participate:
For more information
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a mimimum age to participate?
Yes. All Trekkers must be at least 18 years of age.
How fit do I need to be to participate?
For the moderately fit person, the trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro is an attainable and not very technical climb.
How much of the money I pay is going back to Camp Quality?
The money you pay for flights, accommodation and the 10 day Trek is just to cover the costs of your participation in the challenge. However, every dollar of the money that you fundraise yourself (minimum $4,000) goes back to supporting our kids, families and programs.